Jump to content


Town leave it late... Again!

Mark Reed Craig Cairns

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Admin



  • Administrators
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWeston Point, Runcorn

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Runcorn Town's recent knack of scoring 90th minute winners struck once more on Wednesday evening, with Craig Cairns' penalty securing a 2-1 victory at AFC Liverpool.
Town had chances to take the lead in the first half, with Simon Thelwell striking the post and AFC keeper Dom Garner making two outstanding saves. It was the home side who took the lead though on 41 minutes, a cross from the right hit back across goal and into the bottom corner by Adam Weston.
The second half was a level affair, with Town keeper Andy Metcalf vital in stopping the home side extending their lead on a couple of occassions. Town grew into the game and equalised on 71 minutes when Mark Reed's diving header found the bottom corner from Cairns' cross.
The two sides have never had a draw in 14 previous meetings, and with the clock hitting 90 minutes, it looked like this would be a first. However Reed was felled in the box as he was about to shoot with Cairns stepping up to fire the ball in the net to give Town the win.
Manager Chris Herbert said afterwards: ""On chances created alone we deserved the three points with Si Thelwell hitting the post, we created plenty of clear cut opputunities and had a blatant penalty for hand ball turned down, so chances were coming which was the pleasing thing.
"We made a few changes to the team from Saturday with Shaun Dowling and Eddie Toner making their debuts and Si Thelwell and Mark Reed coming in to the starting 11, so we started the game a little slow, but with the squad literally just being finalised an hour before the game and the new lads being thrown in at the deep end, it was expected but you could see and feel we were getting our game going as the game went on.
"AFC Liverpool battled hard for every ball and took chances against us which pinned us back a little too much, and they got there goal for that reason. At half time I told the lads we need to take chances ourselves and let them worry about us rather than the other way round, and we will get joy in wide areas because AFC Liverpool were sending their full backs extreemly high. Our first goal come from just that, with Cairnsy using the space left by the full back to isolate the centre back out wide who he beat to deliver for Reedys goal. It's all about being braver than your opposition but at the right times. 
"Then Paul McManus put a great ball through for Reedy who as he was about to shoot was taken down for the pen which Cairnsy scored. It is always nice to win late on, we are a very fit team and we know we will get late goals in games because we can go for 90 minutes with our hard work but I would prefer the game to be put to bed earlier as it isn't too good for the nerves on the sideline!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users